SWAMI VIVEKANANDA’S WORD TO YOUTH
- Work, work the idea, the plan, my boys, my brave, noble,good souls – to the wheel, to the wheel put your shoulders! Stop not to look back for name, or fame, or any such nonsense. Throw self overboard and work.
- My child, what I want is muscles of iron and nerves of steel, inside which dwells a mind of the same material as that of which the thunderbolt is made. Strength, manhood, Kshatra-Virya plus Brahma-Teja.
- Cultivate the virtue of obedience, but you must not sacrifice your own faith. No centralisation is possible unless there is obedience to superiors. No great work can be done without this centralisation of individual forces.
- Beware of everything that is untrue; stick to youth and we shall succeed, maybe slowly, but surely. Work as if on each of you depended the whole work.
- “Courage and fearlessness”, “face the brutes”, “face the maya”, “face the death.”
- Fly from evil and terror and misery, and they will follow you. Face them, and they will flee.
- Be moral. Be brave. Be a heart-whole man. Strictly moral, brave unto desperation.
- If we were ever to gain freedom, it must be by conquering nature, never by running away. Cowards never win victories. We have to fight fear and troubles and ignorance if we expect them to flee before us.
- That is the lesson for all life – “face the terrible, face it boldly.”
- Cultivate always “faith in yourself”, you are children of God. You must share immortal bliss. Be a lion and not a sheep.